On Saturday I went to Kroger to take advantage of the Doubles Mega Event. I arrived early along with many other couponers. In a country blessed with so much I was surprised to observe the following:
- There was urgency, even anxiety in the facial expressions of the majority of the shoppers.
- Courtesy was scarce and smiles non-existent both amongst shoppers and supermarket staff.
- Staff was overzealous in the manner in which they handled coupons.
- There was an increased participation of male solo shoppers with coupons as well as husbands assisting with the second cart.
- My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and as such I must care for it and respect it. Excess in eating does not honor God. Even when I have plenty it is my duty to eat to nourish my body and not to satisfy my cravings.
- I have both the obligation and the privilege to share my blessings. Not the stuff that I like the least or the items of lesser quality or nutritional value. I must share it all reminding myself that I am to love my neighbor.
- God has blessed me with the resources, creativity and time to stockpile. I cannot allow myself to do it with a heart of fear for my future provision. Instead I must do it in trusting the King and giving thanks for the portion I receive daily.
- The total out of pocket of this shopping excursion represents 1.5 months household income for a family in Haiti.
- All that I have is not mine, it is entrusted to me and I will have to give account.
- I am reminded of the feeding of the 5,000. God can do much with little. God can do much in the place where I am. God does not find pleasure in waste instead he desires for us to optimize even the last crumbs of His blessings.
Out of Pocket $65.52
Total Coupon Savings $101.86
Bonus Coupon Match $69.48
Store Savings (sales) $34.63
Total Items 104
Cost per item .63 cents